Friday 31 December 2010

2010

Back in January 2010, I set myself some goals.
I reviewed them in June and had made good progress. Now the year is over, it’s time to review the remainder....

Improve my web presence -

Tidy sqlsolace, improve tagging and searchability -

Achieved :
1. New template implemented giving site a fresh look and full screen width.
2. Reviewed some old posts
3. Categorised old content

Review (& either scrap or post) my backlog of scripts and notes -

Achieved : 50 posts from old notes

Review and remove old/unprofessional material from my personal web site

Achieved : Site Tidy up completed. Some sarcasm remains but nobody’s perfect...


Community -

Publish further scripts on other sites (September 2009 : had 1st published on SSC) -

Achieved : I have now had 7 scripts published @ SQLServerCentral . Not as many as I would like, but I’d rather they were useful than just fulfil a quota.

Publish an article

Achieved : SQL Server Club featured an exploration of understanding SQL Server Collations.


Attend Sql Server events / meetups

Achieved : 3
SQLBits VI in London, April 2010
Kent SQL User Group, August 2010
SQLBits VII in York, October 2010


Network more

Achieved : Connections on LinkedIn and Twitter with the UK Sql server community (mostly met through SQLBits)

Learning – 

Continue with SSIS development to further my ETL skills.

Achieved : 3 SSIS Solutions are now in production

Business Requirements and company direction have sadly prevented any new SSIS projects being commissioned. Scaling up SSIS remains a professional goal.

Obtain Microsoft BI certifications

Achieved : Passed MCTS (exam 70-448) and MCITP (exam 70-452) in SQL 2008 Business Intelligence in September 2010. They took a month of study , by which I mean I did nothing else with my evenings except study!

Having achieved this, I’m itching to get my teeth into an Analysis Services project.


Tackle the mountain of books, whitepapers and printed articles in my office.

Achieved :

None (in their entirety that is)
I have 3 books on the go, each of which I am half way through. These are -
  1. SQL Server MVP Deep Dives
  2. Inside Microsoft SQL Server 2008 T-SQL Querying
  3. Professional Sql 2008 Internals and Troubleshooting

No comments: